A great way to get young writers excited for the Calgary Stampede Centennial!
This contest for youth celebrates the 100th Anniversary of the Calgary Stampede by capturing its spirit in writing. This contest is open to students in Calgary schools, Grades 4-12. The deadline for entries is May 14. A separate contest for adults is underway, visit wordfest.com for details.
How to Enter:
- Select one of the 5 contest images and write a story inspired by the image
- Entries can be fiction or non-fiction, prose or poetry
- English- and French-language submissions will be accepted
- Limit of 3 submissions per student
- Word limit of 250 words
- All entries must be neatly printed or typed on the Official Entry Form (click to download).
Teachers, please send your students’ entries by fax to 403.237.9093 or via email to
with the subject line: TumbleWord Youth Postcard Contest Entry.
Yahoo for Writing!
- Winners will be awarded a book prize package and the winning entries will be displayed for the public during Wild West WordFest (June 18-20). WordFest will select a winner for each category:
- Grade 4-7 (English) / Grade 4-7 (French)
- Grade 8-12 (English) / Grade 8-12 (French)
Once a winner has been selected for each category, teachers will be asked to contact the student’s parent/guardian to sign a release. Awards may only be given to students with written permission.
Download the TumbleWord Contest Teacher Kit (ENGLISH) (FRENCH)
TumbleWord is part of Wild West WordFest, a special literary series celebrating the Calgary Stampede Centennial.